Through spreading the vision of and providing training, enable the churches in Hong Kong participating in Bible Translation by prayer, donation and services to all the needed areas.
By 2025, a Bible translation program will be in progress in every language needing one.
1. We believe the Bible, the inspired Word of God, is completely trustworthy, speaking with supreme authority in all matters of belief and practice.
2. We believe in one God, who exists eternally in three persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
3. We believe all people, being created in the image of God, have intrinsic value, but as a result of sin are alienated from God and each other, and therefore in need of reconciliation.
4. We believe that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, born of the virgin Mary, is fully God and fully human; He demonstrated God's love for sinners by suffering the penalty of death in their place, rose bodily from the dead and ascended to heaven where He intercedes for His people.
5. We believe all who repent and trust in Jesus Christ alone as Lord and Savior are, by the grace of God, declared to be right with Him, receiving forgiveness and eternal life.
6. We believe the Lord Jesus Christ will return personally in glory, raise the dead, and judge the world.
7. We believe all people will rise from the dead, those who are in Christ to enjoy eternal life with God, and those who are lost to suffer eternal separation from Him.
8. We believe in the Holy Spirit who imparts new life to those who believe in Christ; through His indwelling presence and transforming power He gives assurance and equips believers for holy living and effective service.
9. We believe the Church is the body of Christ, the fellowship of all believers, and is commissioned to make disciples of all nations.
1. The Glory of God among the Nations - Our motive for Bible translation is that some from all the peoples of the earth might pursue God and His glory.
2. Christ-likeness in Life and Work - Our quest is to be like Christ. We express this in the way we live and in the quality of the work we do.
3. The Church as Central in God's Mission - The Church is sent by God to evangelize the world and disciple the nations.
4. The Word Translated - The Word of God transforms lives when it is translated into a language that speaks to people's hearts.
5. Dependence on God - We depend on God for everything needed to complete the otherwise impossible task of worldwide Bible translation.
6. Partnership and Service - We partner with others to complete the pressing task of translating the Word of God for the peoples of the earth.
Wycliffe Bible Translators Hong Kong Council was set up in 1987 and is a member organization of Wycliffe GlobalAlliance. In the early years, Wycliffe HK had no formal office, thus most works were done in Council members' home. In 1990, the very first office was set up in North Point. Though it was a small office, ministry had expanded on various aspects. In 1992, Rev. Wayne Leung was appointed as the director of Wycliffe HK. Under his leadership, Wycliffe HK had developed even stronger ministry. Healthy partnerships were built with many churches and other mission agencies. Rev. Leung reassigned to Wycliffe International in 2002 as a consultant for Asia Pacific Areas. On 1 July, 2006, Wycliffe HK completed its procedure of incorporation, and was renamed as 'Wycliffe Bible Translators (Hong Kong)'. Mr. Thomas Chiang was appointed as the new director.
Up to November 2012, Wycliffe HK has 47 members who were sent out by churches to 11 areas. They participate in Bible translation, exegetical studies, literacy, administration, personnel, finances and so. In addition, there are 6 staff members base in Hong Kong to serve the churches here. The first New Testament done by Wycliffe HK personnel was completed in July 2001 in a language of North Eurasia Area.
Apart from these, over a hundred Hong Kong churches have embraced the vision of Bible translation. They support numerous translation projects worldwide through donations, prayer and field visiting. In the last two decades, more and more Chinese churches actively take part in world missions; however, Chinese's involvement in Bible translation is still rare. In the hope of bringing God's word to every tribes in the world, Wycliffe HK partners with other organizations worldwide to share the vision with Chinese Churches and promote their interest in joining this ministry.